Thursday, February 19, 2009

"Anti-Aging is Top Facial Skin Care Seller"

Donna Maria, of The IndieBusiness network tweeted this news tidbit a bit ago:

Anti-Aging is Top Facial Skin Care Seller, Reports Mintel

Americans are pouring more money into the fountain of youth known as anti-aging skin care. According to a new report from market research firm Mintel, sales of anti-aging skin care products rose to over $1.6 billion in 2008. For the first time, anti-aging sales surpassed sales of facial cleansers, which garnered nearly $570 million in 2008.

The market for anti-aging skin care has grown rapidly over the past couple years, per Mintel. U.S. sales rose 13% from 2006 to 2008, outpacing general facial skin care sales, which grew less than 11%. Mintel expects the market to remain robust over the next five years, growing some 20% through 2013.


According to Mintel's Global New Products Database, nearly a third (32%) of U.S. facial skin care product launches tracked in 2008 boasted anti-aging claims. Globally, one in four (26%) included such claims.

My thoughts? Maybe that's why folks love our Cleopatra's Secret product group so much. I may not be the only one growing older?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everyone is always looking for that magic product to erase the years. While I am not fond of my wrinkles either, I think they should be appreciated. I have worked hard to get to the age I am and I have enjoyed the ride. Wouldn't it be nice if our culture celebrated aging instead of trying to undo it?

Marge said...

Applause to that one! Laughing. My mother never went entirely gray, and I think I've inherited her hair. Very little gray, and honestly I wish I had more. Remembering a decade or so ago - went to a hairdresser who picked up the first lock of gray and said "what is this, and why is it still here? We can make THAT go away!"

I was indignant! No way are you going to make it go away. I've EARNED every one of those gray hairs!

teah said...

The aging "boomers" have a huge impact on the market,don't they? As one of them I have to say I actually feel empowered by my gray. Now when I look in the mirror I feel it's evident that I've been elevated to a more knowledgable and experienced level!
Those who don't join the celebration will find out soon enough that it won't be undone!